This is a quick recipe for those time crunching moments and will come handy for a healthy breakfast for your outdoor camping and trekking. Kids love it. If you are already serving ready-made soup for your kids, take this as a reason to introduce millets in their diet. They would not complain and would love the taste of this new soupy noodles.
Ingredients (Serving for two):
- Varagu (Kodo Millet) - 1 cup
- Ready-made soup packet - 1 packet
- Garlic - 4 cloves (Optional)
- Red Chilli - 3 long pieces (Optional)
- Jeera - 1 tea spoon (Optional)
- Cooking oil - 2 table spoon
- Spring onion (Optional)
- Coriander (Cilantro) optional.
- Pepper Powder
Soak Varagu (Kodo millet) in water and keep it soaked for at least 30 min
- Add 2 table spoon oil, when oil is hot enough (Do not allow it to smoke), add crushed garlic cloves, Jeera and red chillies broken in to two. This will help the flavor from garlic, jeera and red chilli transfer to the oil.
- Now add water as per the serving for two in the soup packet and add three more cups for varagu + salt needed just for Varagu.
- Let the water boil. Now if the kids will be picky about floating garlic and chilli, you can remove them. The flavor would have transferred to the boiling water and the purpose if served.
- Now add varagu and let it semi cook.
- When it is semi-cooked, add the soup powder to serve 2 persons (Usually a pack mar serve 4 or 6 persons, check the pack for this detail
- When Varagu is cooked completely, turn off the flame and leave it in soup consistency.
- Garnish with spring onion, pepper powder and coriander (Cilantro)
Now soupy varagu is ready 🙂