<< Planned Unplanned Trip V Index
>< Deciding on the location and preparing for the trip
>>Day 1 & 2: Chennai to Hyderabad for Biryani and off to Aurangabad
>> Day 3: Exploring Ellora caves and change in plan
>> Day 4: Roaming in Indore and rest in Udaipur
>> Day 5: Roaming in Udaipur, pit-stop in Ajmer dharga, amazing street food and rest in Jaipur
>> Day 6 & 7: Roam in Jaipur, change in plan and left to Agra the next day
>> Day 8: Roaming in the magnificent Agra and leave to Delhi
>> Day 9: Plan to exit and roam in Delhi
>> Day 9 took me in to 10, with trouble parceling the bike by train and challenges at every turn. Best experience.
This is my fifth planned unplanned trip.
This year has been a dry year in terms of travel due to the ankle injury which took about 9 months to heal on its own. When I felt better and confident, this year’s trip came back from the back burner. With Muruga’s tempting offer for Sikkim, I had to decline the offer to think about the Planned Unplanned Solo for this year. Planning it along with US Thanks giving will mean, 9 days off, in which only 3 days actually away from work.
The confusion was between going to Cambodia, to see the world’s largest temple, the Angkor Wat. Second option was to go on a solo bike ride to Delhi from Chennai. This process was going on for a couple of weeks without being able to decide between these two options. It was then I spoke to Mahilan, with whom I had done some traveling and he is in to his own adventure. As he was getting married, he was planning for his honeymoon trip. Me being me, I was giving him some suggestions on how to select the location. In the process I got the points to make my decision, it was to consider opposite to what Mahilan has to consider to make his decision. Not to plan for a leisure trip, not to get in to a complete planned trip, stay away from the comfort zone. All these I would not have the luxury to do at a later years. Do it now and don’t regret this was something I missed.
Finally decided on the solo ride to Delhi. As usual, there were few conditions and constrains for this travel that I have to play with in.
1. Leave from Chennai after work on 17/Nov/2017 (Saturday)
2. Be back to Chennai on 27th (Monday) and start with my work
That’s it, everything else was to be planned on the go. Had booked my return flight ticket to get in to a serious mode. Planned to send the bike by train from Delhi to Chennai. It actually got in to so much trouble.
First task was to refine the list of items to carry and start working on it a couple of weeks before. Another point to be noted is all of this should be less than 22 kg for the travel back.
Items to carry
- Headphone – To be used during navigation, I don't listen to songs while riding. Instead sing myself 😛 But I did not use the headphone for this trip, as the mobile mount was good for navigation. With the bike charger, was not worried of keeping the mobile on all the time.
- Inform on ways to track on emergency – To give away my iphone finder login, in case I have to be tracked if there is no contact for a day
- Bike insurance - 4 copies xerox, also to be used for bike parcel
- RC xerox - 4 xerox copies
- Emission certificate – Needed outside Tamil Nadu
- Riding jacket
- Riding pant
- Riding gloves
- Riding shoes
- Socks x 4 – Out of which I had used only one, which was inside my shoe after the last trip, comfy 😛
- Clear riding glass – In case there is any trouble in the helmet front glass
- Bike mobile charger – One of the best buy for this ride. Definitely makes a huge difference on the road. You need not be under pressure to keep your mobile on when needed. I have faced this several times.
- Mobile holder (Ram mount) – This is again for navigation
- Puncher kit
- Shampoo (To check puncher)
- Bungee cord – This is to tie my primary 50L back to the rear seat
- Plastic cover – To pack, laundry bag, water proof when necessary, etc.
- Foldable knife
- Lighter – Fire during wet condition
- Mobile Charger x 2 – To charge the mobile and power back the same time
- Android and IPhone charger cables (for power bank and phone)
- Mobile sim remover (can be used a pick)
- Walking shoes/sandal
- Torch light
- Secondary bag – This bag carries all my quick access items and also the items I need when I am geared up. When I get off my bike, I can stuff my gloves, mobile holder in to this without having to remove the primary bag.
- Groundnuts burfi - For quick sugar and protein fix when needed.
First aid kit
- Pain relief Spray
- Gauze bandage
- Cotton absorption pads
The previous week, got the bike serviced, changed the oil and front brake pads. Rear was also weak, still had to forego due to the cost. Radiator was also weak, gave it a careful wash to hold for this ride.
With all set, assembled everything the previous night before going to bed.
Work was done for the day, got all the items assembled. All set and time to go to bed